A 49-year-old man has been charged with a terrorism-related offence in connection with last year’s deadly attack on a synagogue in Manchester.
Counter Terrorism Policing North West said Hekmat Omar Ali Hakim, of St James Road in Higher Broughton, Salford, has been charged with failing to disclose information regarding terrorist activity.
Police said the charge relates directly to the attack on the Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation synagogue on October 2, 2025.
Two men were killed during the attack, which was carried out by Jihad Al-Shamie. Al-Shamie, 35, died at the scene after being shot by police.
Hakim has been remanded in custody and is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
Assistant Chief Constable Rob Potts, who has operational responsibility for Counter Terrorism Policing North West, described the charge as a “significant development” in the investigation.
Police said investigators remain focused on establishing the full circumstances surrounding the attack and identifying anyone who may have been involved.
The development follows the conviction of Mohammad Bashir, 31, who was sentenced in July to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 17 years after planning a separate attack on a military facility with Al-Shamie.
Bashir had driven Al-Shamie on a 10-hour round trip in August 2025 to conduct hostile reconnaissance at the UK’s Defence Academy in Shrivenham, Oxfordshire.
Several weeks later, Al-Shamie carried out the Manchester synagogue attack.
Hakim’s charge does not itself establish that he participated in planning or carrying out the attack. The specific allegation is that he possessed information concerning terrorist activity that he failed to disclose to authorities.
Discover more from Niyi Daram
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

