Close Menu
Niyi Daram

    North Korea’s Kim, Russia’s Putin reaffirm ties on Korean Liberation Day

    August 16, 2026

    Trump administration ends TPS protections for Somalia and South Sudan

    August 16, 2026

    The world’s oldest president left for a ‘brief stay’ in Europe. He hasn’t returned in two months

    August 15, 2026
    What's Hot

    North Korea’s Kim, Russia’s Putin reaffirm ties on Korean Liberation Day

    August 16, 2026

    Trump administration ends TPS protections for Somalia and South Sudan

    August 16, 2026

    The world’s oldest president left for a ‘brief stay’ in Europe. He hasn’t returned in two months

    August 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • North Korea’s Kim, Russia’s Putin reaffirm ties on Korean Liberation Day
    • Trump administration ends TPS protections for Somalia and South Sudan
    • The world’s oldest president left for a ‘brief stay’ in Europe. He hasn’t returned in two months
    • Former Cambridge professor Jason Arday found dead, aged 41
    • French court strikes down social media ban for children under 15
    • President Trump finally addresses if he’ll seek a third term in the White House
    • ‘Much strength’ – Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Messi over father’s death
    • US Appeals Court Allows Thousands of Social Media Addiction Lawsuits Against Meta, Google, TikTok and Snapchat
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Niyi DaramNiyi Daram
    Subscribe
    Thursday, August 20
    • Home
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Fashion
    • Business
    • UK News
    • US News
    Niyi Daram
    Home » Indonesia Blocks Elon Musk’s Grok AI Over Non-Consensual Deepfake Porn

    Indonesia Blocks Elon Musk’s Grok AI Over Non-Consensual Deepfake Porn

    niyidaramBy niyidaramJanuary 11, 2026 NEWS No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Indonesia has become the first country to block Elon Musk’s Grok chatbot after authorities said the artificial intelligence tool was being used to generate non-consensual sexual deepfake images, including explicit and pornographic depictions of women and children.

    The government said the move was taken to protect citizens from what it called rapidly escalating digital harm. Communications and digital affairs minister Meutya Hafid said the state was responding to the spread of non-consensual sexual deepfakes, describing them as a serious violation of human rights, dignity and public safety in the digital space.

    Hafid said access to Grok had been temporarily blocked to protect women, children and the wider public from fake pornographic content created using artificial intelligence.

    The decision follows growing international concern over Grok’s integration into Elon Musk’s social media platform X, which allows users to generate or manipulate images by tagging the chatbot in posts. In recent weeks, the platform has been flooded with altered and fabricated images, many involving partially unclothed women and minors. The Internet Watch Foundation has warned that criminals are already exploiting the feature to create child sexual abuse material.

    After public backlash, X restricted full AI image generation to paying subscribers and required users to provide identifying information, but critics say the measures are inadequate. Free users can still manipulate images through X’s editing tools and Grok’s standalone website.

    Indonesia, which has strict online obscenity laws, has summoned X representatives following the temporary block. The UK government is also reviewing whether X is breaching the Online Safety Act, with media regulator Ofcom considering possible action. Technology Secretary Liz Kendall said she would support Ofcom if it decided to block the platform, calling the sexual manipulation of images of women and children despicable and abhorrent.

    Under UK law, Ofcom can seek a court order to prevent companies from hosting or monetising X in Britain if they refuse to comply with safety rules.

    Elon Musk has dismissed the criticism, accusing opponents of seeking censorship. In one controversial post, he shared an AI-generated image of Prime Minister Keir Starmer in a bikini, claiming critics were trying to suppress free speech.

    Reports from late December said Grok was producing degrading edits of women dozens of times per minute, with users instructing the bot to create explicit or abusive images, including digitally undressing women or fabricating sexualised scenes involving mothers and children.

    X said it removes illegal content, including child sexual abuse material, permanently suspends offending accounts, and works with law enforcement when necessary, adding that anyone using Grok to create illegal content would face the same penalties as if they uploaded it directly.

    • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
    • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
    • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
    • Share on Threads (Opens in new window) Threads

    Like this:

    Like Loading…

    Discover more from Niyi Daram

    Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

    #deepfake #nonconsensual Elon Musk grok Twitter
    niyidaram
    • Website
    • Facebook
    • X (Twitter)
    • Instagram

    Niyi is a senior data editor at NiyiDaram

    Keep Reading

    North Korea’s Kim, Russia’s Putin reaffirm ties on Korean Liberation Day

    Trump administration ends TPS protections for Somalia and South Sudan

    The world’s oldest president left for a ‘brief stay’ in Europe. He hasn’t returned in two months

    Former Cambridge professor Jason Arday found dead, aged 41

    French court strikes down social media ban for children under 15

    President Trump finally addresses if he’ll seek a third term in the White House

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Editors Picks

    North Korea’s Kim, Russia’s Putin reaffirm ties on Korean Liberation Day

    August 16, 2026

    Trump administration ends TPS protections for Somalia and South Sudan

    August 16, 2026

    The world’s oldest president left for a ‘brief stay’ in Europe. He hasn’t returned in two months

    August 15, 2026

    Former Cambridge professor Jason Arday found dead, aged 41

    August 15, 2026
    Latest Posts

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    Advertisement

    Your source for the serious news.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • Home
    • Buy Now

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Powered by
    ►
    Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
    None
    ►
    Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
    None
    ►
    Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
    None
    ►
    Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
    None
    ►
    Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
    None
    Powered by
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Ad Blocker Enabled!
    Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please support us by disabling your Ad Blocker.
    %d