Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. Reactions have continued to trail the emergence of former Lagos Governor, Bola Tinubu as the winner of the All Progressives Congress, APC, presidential primary elections. Tinubu garnered 1,271 to beat Yemi Osinbajo and Rotimi Amaechi.
2. The Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, yesterday, held a closed-door meeting with governors elected on the party’s platform. The development is coming a few hours after the emergence of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu as the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
3. Rabiu Kwankwaso, a former governor of Kano State, has emerged as the presidential candidate of the New Nigeria Peoples Party, NNPP. Kwankwaso became the flagbearer during NNPP’s convention in Abuja on Wednesday.
4. The 2023 presidential candidate of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, Bola Ahmed Tinubu has expressed anger at those who wished the party death. Speaking during his acceptance speech on Wednesday, the former Lagos State Governor accused the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, of plotting to destroy APC.
5. Bishop David Oyedepo of the Living Faith Church has expressed optimism that the attackers of St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo, in Ondo State would be punished for their actions, saying if the killers escape death, God didn’t send him. Oyedepo, who spoke during a sermon, expressed anger at the level of insecurity ravaging the entire nation.
6. Gunmen have killed two local hunters serving as community guards in Adamawa State capital, Yola. The gunmen also abducted a private security guard in the course of their operation. The incident took place in the early hours of Wednesday along Barracks Road, Jimeta, Yola.
7. The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has said the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, is no match for its flagbearer, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar. Hon. Debo Ologunagba, National Publicity Secretary of the party, in a statement, said the PDP sympathised with Tinubu for embarking on a journey to nowhere.
8. A faction of the Labour Party, led by its former Deputy National Chairman, Callistus Okafor, on Wednesday, elected Chief Digar Ezenwafor as its presidential candidate for the 2023 general elections. Ezenwafor, immediate past Senior Special Assistant to ex-Governor Willy Obiano of Anambra State, emerged as the LP faction’s candidate at a national convention held in the Garki area of Abuja.
9. The Ondo State Government, on Wednesday, said the death toll from the Sunday terrorists attack on St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo, is now 40. The State Commissioner for Health, Dr Banji Ajaka, disclosed this in a statement issued on Wednesday.
10. Justice Abdulazeez Anka of a Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos State, has sentenced a Nigerian-American-trained surgeon, John Nweke, to 27 years imprisonment for fraudulently obtaining goods from Konga Online Shopping Limited. The goods reportedly include 19 expensive smartphones and two cameras valued at N35m.