ENTERTAINMENT

Old homophobic tweets made by 2 Nigerian brothers linked to Jussie Smollett may be used in his defense

Homophobic tweets apparently made by 2 Nigerian brothers may be used in Jussie Smollett’s defense, according to The Blast. The old tweets were uncovered on a Twitter account used by Abel and Ola Osundairo. Smollett’s defense team tells The Blast the statements show the brothers had anti-homosexual sentiments.

In 2013, Ola Osundairo chastised a man who was a fan of rapper Frank Ocean. The rapper’s career faded to black after he came out as a homosexual in 2013.

“Why you following Frank Ocean,” Ola tweeted in 2013. “you know that ni**a gay right,” he added.

Another message by Ola stated, “YOU’RE GAY THATS WHO YOU ARE.”

Ola asserted his heterosexuality in another tweet, writing, “I don’t follow any man. I follow woman.”

The brothers are American-born but their parents are from Nigeria, where anti-homosexual sentiment runs high.

The tweets contradict an earlier statement made by the Osundairo brothers after they were detained and released by Chicago police following an alleged attack on Smollett on Jan. 29.

“We are not racist. We are not homophobic and we are not anti-Trump. We were born and raised in Chicago and are American citizens,” the brothers said at the time.

Smollett, 36, faces a felony charge of disorderly conduct for filing a false police report.

In a press conference last week, the Police Superintendent alleged Smollett paid the brothers $3,500 to help him stage the hoax in the hope it would boost his career and salary.

Smollett wrote “for training” on the memo line of the check issued to Abel Osundairo. Smollett’s legal team claims the funds were for a five-week nutrition and workout program in preparation for a music video.

Chicago police chief Eddie Johnson said investigators have more evidence against Smollett. Police believe the actor paid the brothers to help him fake a racist, homophobic attack on himself.

Johnson appeared on the Good Morning America talk show on Monday. He said his investigators have “a lot more evidence” that points to Smollett staging his own attack.

“It’s important for people to recognize it’s not the Chicago police saying he [Smollett] did something, it’s the evidence, the facts, and the witnesses that are saying this. So our job is to investigate it and bring the facts and evidence to the state.”

Johnson concluded, “[Smollett] still has the presumption of innocence and he will get his opportunity in court, if he chooses to go that route.”

Smollett is currently free on $100,000 bond. He faces up to three years behind bars if convicted. He also faces felony charges of mail fraud for allegedly sending a threatening letter through the US Postal Service addressed to himself at a television studio in Chicago, a week before the alleged hoax attack.

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

To Top
%d bloggers like this: