Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. More than 100 suspected Boko Haram insurgents and their families have reportedly surrendered to the Nigerian Army in Borno State. According to reports, one of the Commanders of the sect led a total of 120 people mostly adolescent youths to come out and surrender to the military.
2. The Presidency yesterday accused Governor Samuel Ortom of stirring up hatred by targeting an ethnic group, using language reminiscent of the Rwandan genocide. The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, said this in a release titled “Statement Concerning Samuel Ortom, the Governor of Benue State.”
3. President Muhammadu Buhari said the attack on the Nigerian Defense Academy (NDA) by gunmen would rather hasten the process of ridding the country of all sorts of criminal elements. In a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, Buhari affirmed the consequences of the attack would finally result in the wiping out of criminalities in the country.
4. Suspected bandits have killed over 35 persons during an attack on Yelwa zangam community behind the University of Jos (UNIJOS). Plateau State Police Command’s spokesman, ASP Gabriel Ubah confirmed the incident.
5. Following the leadership crisis currently rocking the opposition Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, governors elected under the platform are to hold an emergency meeting on Thursday in Abuja. This was disclosed in a statement on Wednesday by the Director-General, PDP Governors’ Forum, C.I.D Maduabum.
6. Two mobile policemen and one civilian have been shot dead by gunmen suspected to be armed robbers in a bullion van attack in Ondo State. Confirming the incident, the Spokesperson of the State Police Command, DSP Funmilayo Odunlami, said a policeman and the driver of the bullion van were killed in the attack.
7. Unknown gunmen have kidnapped one Barr. Mohammed Abubakar Opu, the Secretary of Nasarawa State Independent Electoral Commission. The Nasarawa State Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Ramham Nansel confirmed the development in a statement on Wednesday morning.
8. The Court of Appeal has dismissed an appeal filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission challenging the award of N50 million over the unlawful detention of one Babatunde Morakinyo. Justice Hussein Muktar stated this on Wednesday while delivering the unanimous decision of a three-man panel of the appellate court.
9. The Defence Headquarters has cautioned against misinformation by the media regarding the circumstances surrounding the unfortunate attack by bandits on NDA on Tuesday. The Director of Defence Information, Maj.-Gen. Benjamin Sawyerr, gave the warning in a statement on Wednesday, in Abuja.
10. A Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) support group, known as the PDP Action 2023, has advised former vice president, Atiku Abubakar not to contest for the 2023 presidential election. The group’s Chairman, Mr Rufus Omeire, gave the advice in a statement issued in Abuja on Wednesday.