Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The National Broadcasting Commission on Thursday queried Channels Television for granting an interview to Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State. NBC, in a letter to the TV station, said the move followed “inciting, divisive and unfair comments” made by the governor during a programme on Tuesday.
2. Justice Nusirat. I. Umar, a vacation Judge of the Kebbi State High Court, has ordered Uche Secondus to return to his position as the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) National Chairman. Justice Umar gave the order in Birnin Kebbi on Thursday while ruling in suit no: KB/AC/M. 170/2021.
3. Former Aviation Minister, Stella Oduah has dumped the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and joined the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC). Stella who is currently the Senator representing Anambra North, announced the development on Thursday during a brief ceremony the party held in Abuja.
4. Nigeria’s economy grew at a real rate of 5.01 per cent in the second quarter of 2021 from the 0.51 recorded in the first quarter of the year. The Gross Domestic Product (GDP) report released on Thursday by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) shows the latest 5.01% GDP growth rate is the highest since the last quarter of 2014.
5. Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State, yesterday, called on Nigerians to call the presidency to order before it destroys the entire nation. Ortom in a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Terver Akase on Thursday said the presidency via its “unguarded comments” would one day plunge the country into more chaos.
6. There were multiple explosions at Kabul’s airport in Afghanistan on Thursday killing scores of US service members and Afghans. According to reports, there were at least two explosions near the airport gate which led to the death of an unspecified number of persons.
7. Niger State government has confirmed the release of kidnapped children of Tanko Salihu Islamic school, Tegina, Rafi Local Government Area of the State. The Secretary to the State Government, SSG, Alh Ibrahim Matane confirmed the development Friday night.
8. The Inspector-General of Police, Usman Baba, has received the report of the Special Investigation Panel on the alleged indictment of the erstwhile Head of the Police Intelligence Response Team, Abba Kyari, a deputy commissioner of police, by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The report was submitted by the chairman of the SIP, DIG Joseph Egbunike, at the Force Headquarters, Abuja, on Thursday.
9. The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has taken exception to Presidency’s attack on Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom, saying the Presidency and not the governor, is guilty of spreading hate amongst Nigerians. In a statement signed by its spokesman, Kola Ologbondiyan, the PDP said its position is against the backdrop of an “inciting hate statement issued by the Buhari Presidency on Wednesday.”
10. Chelsea midfielder, Jorginho, has been named the UEFA Player of the Year. This was confirmed on Thursday shortly after the draw for the Champions League group stage.