Former first lady Michelle Obama during an episode of The Ellen DeGeneres show which is set to air Thursday, explained the awkward face and confusion she felt on Donald Trump’s Inauguration Day when Melania Trump gave her a gift in a box.
She told Ellen:
“Well, there’s all this protocol,”
“I mean, this is like a state visit, so they tell you that you’re going to do this, they’re going to stand here. Never before do you get this gift, so I’m sort of like OK. … What am I supposed to do with this gift?” Obama said.
- “No one would come and take the box,” she said, “And I’m thinking, ‘Do we take the picture with (it)?’ “
- She said when her husband, then outgoing President, Barack Obama noticed her confusion, he “saved the day” by helping her out.
- “See, he grabbed the box and took it back inside. But everybody cleared out. No staff, no one,” the former first lady said.
- The former first lady said the gift was a “lovely frame.”
- Watch Michelle’s side eye as she receives the gift.